Saturday 28 April 2012

Allotment - Kale

Decided to give Kale a go this year as have heard lots of others raving about it, I haven't even tasted it before which may have made more sense before attempting to grow it but when do I ever do things conventionally?


We have 2 varieties to try, one is called 'Dwarf Green Curled' and 'Westland Winter'. I think we got the latter from a magazine as a freebie. 


Like all Brassica's it is pretty straightforward to sow, we sowed 6 no. of the 'Dwarf Green Curled' variety in a plug tray (see below: left of picture) but only require 3 good plants. We have been doing that a lot this year with everything to allow for any failures to germinate or other issues, sowing approximately double what is needed. I will sow another batch of Kale in May to stagger the cropping times a little, next time I will try the other variety and will sow 6 again but needing 4 good plants.






No comments:

Post a Comment