Thursday 3 June 2010

Introduction to rock climbing

I have been a member of Club Cualann since September 2009 and since then have been trying to go out rock climbing with them for the first time. I think it is something I would love but lack a little bit of confidence and motivations to actually say right, I am going tonight.

Last night however (June 2nd) and the night before my 24th birthday I finally managed to get out with the climbers and complete my first climb. The exhilaration when I got to the top of the rock was unbelievable. I am a complete novice to the sport, they do not come much greener than me but I threw myself into the challenge full on. Jim, who has been climbing for years and whom I know from several hillwalking excursions with the club was my teacher on the night and I could not have asked for a better one. Knowing as little as I do I hadn't even invested in climbing shoes so turned up wearing my gym runners, not ideal but the best of a bad lot for the task. Luckily too Jim has all the equipment and patience needed with a greenhorn and started at the very beginning with me.

The harness is something that will take getting used to, that is a tight fit! We meandered our way over to the starting point in Dalkey quarry, a rock face called Eliminate A, a grade VD*** (v diff which is an entry grade for most beginners) It took a while before we actually got into the climbing but I learned by watching Jim lead and Julie seconding an invaluable insight into the world of rock climbing. Eventually I had my chance and Row (another group member) showed me the ropes (literally) on how to tie the figure of eight knot.

This was very much a throw you into the deep end type of climbing but I relished the challenge and set off eagerly up the rock face feeling confident. The only difficult element is about half way up the wall, you are standing on a narrow ledge, hands above your head on some other narrow holds and you must get your feet into the area where your hands are. This was where I had the most difficulty, I try to drag myself up using upper body strength when poise and delicate moves are all that is required, I am sure I will learn this as time goes on. It took me less than ten minutes to climb the wall but I felt ecstatic when I got above the crux and onto the ledge above where Jim and Julie were waiting.

My first rock climb was complete and I am now hooked

No comments:

Post a Comment